While down in Costa Rica, I couldn’t help but notice the prominent culture focus on dogs. To say Costa Rica is dog-friendly would certainly be an understatement. Of course dogs are allowed on patios, in stores and hotels (the normal stuff in the states), but also grocery stores, restaurants and pretty much anywhere humans can go. It’s rare not to see a local with a dog by their side.
Not only are dogs companions in this spanish-speaking tropical paradise, they are also integral part of the family. Almost every home has a dog for security purposes and as a family protector.
It’s somewhat hard to tell the strays from owned pets. Most have a collar or bandana to signify ownership, but it’s not very common to see pets on leashes. They run around the towns and beaches on their own, even if they do belong to a family.
I was caught off guard to see dogs in the most unexpected places. The photo below, located in Montezuma Falls, took us about an hour hike from town center through forests, canopy bridges and trails to get to the infamous waterfalls. Upon our tired and sweaty arrival, we were greeted by this guy drinking from the spring and watching the tourists swim in the waterfall pool.
While the weather is almost always hot and humid, these Costa Rican dogs certainly know how to cool off. Seems like dogs have a pretty good life down here in this tropical paradise.
Next week we’re visiting Territorio De Zaguates (which translates to Land of the Strays), a unique no-kill shelter in Costa Rica that has over nine-hundred adoptable dogs. Stay tuned for pictures!
- The first Pop-Up Dog Park in Omaha - October 5, 2016
- Omaha Featured in Dogster Magazine! - October 5, 2016
- A week dedicated to dog fashion, Omaha FURshion Week - June 11, 2016
- Dogs on Patios Law in Omaha - May 17, 2016
- Dogs Around the World
Costa Rica - May 11, 2016
- Winners of Omaha’s Top Dog Model – Omaha FURshion Week - May 1, 2016
- Dog Friendly Events in Omaha – Summer 2016 - April 28, 2016
- Omaha Furshion Week, Omaha’s First Dog Fashion Week - April 20, 2016
- Dog-friendly Businesses and Places in Omaha! - April 19, 2016